Wondering how social media is evolving? Looking for the latest stats and trends? Here’s a roundup of over 50+ social media statistics that will help you stay ahead of the curve.
From Snapchat to LinkedIn, discover how people are using different platforms to connect and share information. With so much data at your fingertips, it’s easy to see why social media is one of the most powerful marketing tools available today.
To keep you informed in 2022, we’ve assembled the most crucial Social Media statistics below.
General Social Media Statistics
- When choosing a restaurant, Gen Z and Millennials are 99% more likely to rely on social media than are Gen X and Boomers.
- Facebook affects more than 50% of consumers’ purchase decisions.
- 58% of consumers’ purchasing decisions are influenced by social media.
- The digital ad spend has an estimated increase of 12.7% in 2021 and as much as 49% increase in some areas.
- Social spending rose by 13.1% in 2021 and is set to rise by a further 10.1% in 2022.
- The growth of global advertising spend forecast for 2022 is 8.2%.
- By then, the global advertising market will be worth more than US $700 billion.
- Facebook and YouTube are both popular advertising platforms, owing to their high-earning user bases.
- The most loved brand on social media is Instagram.
- Instagram’s share of the US brand content interactions is 67%.
- 63% of customers expect businesses to offer customer service through their social media.
- 90% of social media users have already connected with a business or brand through their preferred platform.
- Adults aged between 18 to 34 are most likely to follow a brand on social media, with 95% of them doing so.
- The likelihood of a consumer recommending a brand on social media after having a positive experience is about 71%.
- 71% of small-to-mid-sized businesses use social media to market themselves, and of those who do so, 52% post at least daily.
- On Facebook, engagement with brands is over 10 times higher than on other social platforms.
- 200 million social media users visit at least one business profile every day.
- 130 million social media users engage with shopping posts every month.
- 11% of Instagram users shop through the app.
- 80% of users have tweeted something about a brand at least once.
- Facebook has 2.91 billion monthly active users
- 36.8% of the world’s population use Facebook monthly
- Facebook is the 7th most valuable brand in the world
- Over 1 billion Stories get posted every day across Facebook apps
- 79% of monthly users are active daily
- Over 72% of Facebook users also use YouTube, WhatsApp, and Instagram
- Facebook is the favorite social platform of the 35-44 demographic
- 72% of Facebook users don’t trust it to protect their privacy
- Users spend an average of 19.6 hours a month on Facebook
- 81.8% of users only use Facebook on a mobile device
- 1.8 billion people use Facebook Groups every month
- TikTok was the most downloaded app of 2021, with 656 million downloads
- TikTok has been downloaded more than 3 billion times
- TikTok has over one billion monthly active users.
- 430 songs surpassed 1 billion video views as TikTok sounds in 2021
- Finance TikTok grew by 255% in 2021
- Partnering with creators boosts view-through rates by 193%
- 67% of users say TikTok inspires them to shop— even when they weren’t planning to do so.
- In 2022, 58% of marketers plan to leverage Instagram Reels.
- 64% of Instagram users lie under the age group of 34.
- 90% of Instagram users follow a business profile.
- 80% of Instagram stories that contain and emphasize a call to action perform better.
- 100 million users launch or watch live videos on Instagram daily.
- 83% of Instagram users use the platform to discover new products and services. In fact, 87% of people even took a specific action, like making a purchase, after seeing product information.
- 73% of marketers favor Instagram for influencer marketing.
- Twitter reached 211 million daily active users in the third quarter of 2021.
- According to HubSpot, 79% of marketers will continue investing in Twitter Spaces in 2022.
- Twitter stands 15th in the list of the world’s most ‘active’ social media platforms.
- Almost 5.5% of all the people on Earth use Twitter today.
- 7.1% of all people around the world aged 13 and above use Twitter today.
- 42% of all Twitter users have graduated college.
- 83% of the world’s leaders are on Twitter.
- 26% of US users check their Twitter account several times a day.
- 42% of all registered Twitter users visit the platform daily.
- YouTube is the second-largest search engine globally.
- According to HubSpot, 44% of marketers plan to leverage YouTube for the first time in 2022.
- YouTube accounts for more than 25% of total worldwide mobile traffic.
- On mobile devices alone, YouTube reaches more adults aged 18 to 24 than any TV network.
- YouTube viewers watch 1 billion + hours of video content every day.
- The average video length on YouTube in 2021 was over 10 minutes long.
- 70% of YouTube watch time takes place on mobile devices.
- In October 2021, Marketers reached almost 790.4 million users with LinkedIn ads. This number roughly increased by 22 million (+2.9%) in the last three months.
- LinkedIn owns more than 800 million active users in 200 countries and regions worldwide.
- 60% of LinkedIn users are aged between 25 and 34 years.
- For B2B businesses, LinkedIn is the top paid and organic social channel.
- 82% of B2B markers find the greatest success on LinkedIn.
- Almost 46% of social media traffic to a company’s website comes from LinkedIn.
- Roughly 10% of all the people on Earth hold a LinkedIn account today.
- Around the world, 14.3% of all people aged 18 years and above have a LinkedIn account today.
- LinkedIn’s advertising audience reach has grown by 8.8% over the past 12 months.
- Every week, 45 million people use LinkedIn to search for jobs.
- Every minute, 4 people are hired on LinkedIn.
- 77 job applications are submitted every second, and 200+ million job applications are submitted every month on LinkedIn.